What are the objectives of regenerative agriculture ecosystems?
I can think of several possibilities:
- Produce enough exceptional quality, nutrient-dense, biofortified ‘food as medicine’ to influence public health and feed the global population a healthy diet.
- Produce pesticide-free food.
- Incentivize and proliferate small scale growers to develop local and regional food production.
- Develop agricultural systems that regenerate soil and ecosystem health and have them become adopted globally.
- Develop agricultural models that rapidly sequester carbon dioxide down to levels under 350 ppm.
- Reverse desertification, restore hydrological cycles and cool the climate.
Let’s be clear that these are different goals. Each is realistic and achievable. It is possible to achieve all of them together, but achieving one does not necessarily mean we achieve the others.